The most important aspect of leadership is the relationship that exists between a leader and their followers. This will in turn determine how successful they become with the task that they have been asked to do. If you have no hold on your followers then it is quite likely that the outcome of your mission will not succeed. There are different traits that a good leader will typically exhibit.
These are just a few of them to think of:
- Leaders should have vision: leaders should have the thoughtful direction, the best means as well as the foresight to employ managers to carry out the projects that have to be done.
- Leaders should set goals that can be reached and should ensure this success.
- Leaders aren’t hampered by failure; politicians are a great example of such leaders.
- Leaders should have followers and the leadership should be an interactive one. It is dependent one both parties. The followers will end up ensuring the success of their leader.
- You should delegate when you can in order to select the proper person for the job. You can’t do everything that has to be done on your own.
- Leaders should have some faith in who they are. Lack of faith in yourself will mean that other people will lack faith in you as well.
- Leaders won’t see obstacles as something that they can’t overcome but they will find ways to over, around and through them as well.
- Courage – Courage is a required quality that is needed in order to create the necessary change.
- Rebellious nature – leaders must be rebellious in order to bring about change. This way you bring about change that other people can’t seem to provide.
- Ability to influence – You should have the ability to influence the motivation that other people have and this means motivating the person to do whatever you want them to do.
- Communication – You should only speak when you have taken the time to think first. You should inform your followers about what you expect. People won’t know what you need from them if you don’t tell them.
- Charisma – The ability to charm and influence other people is an element that is necessary for leadership.
- Sincerity – The appearance of honesty, integrity, being trustworthy, confidence are all necessary in becoming an effective leader.
- Powers of persuasion – Leaders should be able to persuade their followers that they have their best interests at heart.
- Earn not Demand respect – A great difference exists between people who earn respect and people who demand respect. If you give respect, the chances are that you will receive it in return.
- Motivate – People who you work with should feel some motivation to act. A person’s motivation comes from within. You cannot provide this motivation but is can easily be fostered.
- Stay in control – Leadership comes with certain degrees of control. Just like you do with a car, when you lose control you don’t get to where you’re headed.
- The capacities to perform – Leaders are supposed to be people who just don’t think about carrying out a task, they make sure that it is done.
- Other Points to Think About:
- Managers vs. leaders – Leaders tend to be managers but not all managers lead. Some managers may direct but they do not lead.
- Authority is not the same thing as leadership.
A true leader may show or have all these traits but what really determines a good leader is in his followers. It is their actions that will bring about the desired results in whatever goal that is under consideration.